Senior UN officials told the Security Council on Friday that Syria’s fragile political transition has gained momentum following a landmark agreement between Damascus and Kurdish authorities in the northeast. Still, they warned that renewed violence in the south, Israeli incursions, and deep humanitarian needs continue to underscore the precarious path to stability.
Briefing for the first time as Deputy Special Envoy for Syria, Claudio Cordone highlighted a ceasefire and “integration” agreement reached between the Syrian transitional authorities and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in late January. Cordone said hostilities had ended and that implementation work was progressing, including reported deployments of Interior Ministry forces in Al-Hasakeh and Qamishli, alongside discussions on local governance and political appointments.
UN reporting indicated the agreement includes provisions on the return of displaced people and the protection of Kurdish civil and educational rights, building on Presidential Decree 13 addressing linguistic, cultural, and citizenship rights.
The transition briefing also raised concerns about detention and accountability. In remarks delivered to the Security Council, Cordone said the UN is monitoring transfers of Syrian and non-Syrian alleged ISIL (Da’esh) suspects to Iraq and stressed that any proceedings must respect fair trial standards, while urging states to repatriate their nationals.
UN officials warned that relative stabilization in the northeast has not prevented renewed volatility elsewhere. In Sweida, renewed clashes between government forces and local armed groups reportedly caused material damage and electricity outages, and protests calling for self-determination resurfaced, prompting UN calls for confidence-building measures within full respect of Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
In southern Syria, UN officials cited continued Israeli incursions and search operations, including reports of aerial herbicide spraying that damaged crops. They called for respect for international law and withdrawal from areas the UN describes as occupied in violation of the 1974 Disengagement of Forces Agreement.
Humanitarian officials emphasized that insecurity is compounding acute civilian need. OCHA reported that recent clashes displaced tens of thousands and that about 130,000 people remain displaced across Al-Hasakeh, Ar-Raqqa, and Aleppo governorates, with more than 90 percent described as women and girls. UN officials also reported flooding in Idleb and northern Latakia that killed two children and damaged or destroyed roughly 2,000 tents, affecting over 5,000 displaced people.
The next political milestone, Cordone said, is the formation of the People’s Assembly, with additional seats still to be filled and further presidential appointments pending. He stressed that meaningful representation, rights protection, missing-persons work, and transitional justice remain central to a credible transition.
Earlier coverage has tracked the deteriorating security situation in northeast Syria, including UN concerns about renewed clashes and detention facility instability. UN raises alarm over renewed clashes and prison breaks in northeast Syria, as well as UN reactions to the ceasefire framework. Broader Security Council warnings late last year emphasized that recovery remained fragile in Syria amid considerable progress.