Guantanamo ex-detainee claims memos show UK involved in alleged torture

Guantanamo ex-detainee claims memos show UK involved in alleged torture

[JURIST] Former Guantanamo Bay [JURIST news archive] detainee Binyam Mohamed [BBC profile; JURIST news archive] claimed in Sunday media reports that documents sent from MI5 [official website] to the CIA [official website] show that the British intelligence agency was involved with his alleged torture in Morocco [JURIST news archive]. Mohamed claimed [Daily Mail report] the documents reveal that MI5 fed the CIA questions that ended up in the hands of his Moroccan interrogators. A telegraph to the CIA dated November 5, 2002, reportedly has the heading, "Request for further Detainee questioning." Mohamed, a native of Ethiopa [JURIST news archive] who claims to have been transferred to Morocco for torture under a US program of extraordinary rendition [JURIST news archive], said he obtained the documents through the US legal process while seeking his release from Guantanamo Bay. Conservative MP David Davis [political website] called for investigations [Telegraph report] into British collusion in torture.

Last week, the UK government's independent reviewer of terror laws called for a judicial inquiry [JURIST report] into British complicity in US rendition and torture. British media reported last week that UN special rapporteur on torture Manfred Nowak told British ministers that MI5 may have been complicit [JURIST report] in torture committed while detainees including Mohamed were in US custody. Mohamed was returned to the UK [JURIST report] last week following seven years of detention, including five at Guantanamo Bay, where he was held on charges of conspiring to commit terrorism. Those charges were dismissed [JURIST report] in October, but Mohamed remained in custody while US authorities considered filing new charges.