On May 16, 2011, the International Criminal Court (ICC) Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo sought arrest warrants for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and two others on charges of crimes against humanity for allegedly plotting attacks on Libyan civilians. Ocampo said that the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) was almost prepared for trial and had collected testimony from some who had fled Libya. Previously in April 2011, the OTP said it was planning to seek five arrest warrants and had indicated that his office had uncovered evidence that Gaddafi had planned to attack civilians to forestall revolution in Libya. The ICC launched initial probes into these allegations of crimes against humanity in March 2011.
International Criminal Court logo
Read an overview of The Libya Conflict at Features.