US Navy guards charged with abusing detainees at Camp Bucca Mike Rosen-Molina at 1:18 PM ET
[JURIST] Six US sailors have been charged for allegedly abusing Iraqi detainees held at Camp Bucca [GloalSecurity backgrounder], the US Naval Forces Central Command [official website] said Thursday. The six are said to have physically assaulted at least two detainees whom they were guarding, and locked eight others in a cell that had been covered with pepper spray. Seven other sailors reportedly faced non-judicial punishment for their involvement in the incidents. Al Jazeera has more. CNN has additional coverage.
Camp Bucca was at the center of controversy in 2003 when the so-called Taguba report [PDF text] detailed instances of detainee abuse and found that the detention camp was well over its carrying capacity. Many former Abu Ghraib [JURIST news archive] detainees were transferred to Camp Bucca after reports of detainee abuse in the Baghdad prison surfaced. In July, four former Abu Ghraib detainees filed lawsuits [CCR materials; JURIST report] against two private US military contractors and three of their employees, alleging torture, war crimes and civil conspiracy. The former detainees said that employees of CACI International and L-3 Communications [corporate websites], which performed interrogation and interpretation work for the US military, violated the Geneva Convention, the Army Field Manual [texts] and US law by torturing and conspiring to torture the detainees. They also alleged that CACI and L-3 were negligent in failing to prevent the torture.
Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible, ad-free format.