[JURIST] A telephone caller threatened the life of the Serbian prosecutor responsible for the arrest and extradition of war crimes suspect Stojan Zupljanin [ICTY indictment] to the International Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) [official website], the Serbian Prosecutor's Office said Tuesday. The death threat, which was traced to the Netherlands, warned Vladimir Vukcevic that he would be killed if any further extraditions take place. This is not the first such threat against Vukcevic; tensions run high in Serbia over the treatment of war crimes suspects, whom some still regard as heroes. Reuters has more. AP has additional coverage.
Zupljanin was arrested [JURIST report] by Serbian authorities last week and is wanted by the ICTY on charges of genocide, crimes against humanity, and violations of the laws of war for allegedly killing civilians during the ethnic conflicts of the 1990s. Bosnian Serb leaders Ratko Mladic [BBC profile] and Radovan Karadzic, as well as Croatian Serb war crimes suspect Goran Hadzic [ICTY indictments] still remain at large. Serbian authorities said that Zupljanin would be transferred to the ICTY later this week.