Saddam back in court as genocide trial resumes

[JURIST] Saddam Hussein [JURIST news archive] was back in court Tuesday as the genocide trial against him resumed for the alleged killing of 100,000 Kurds in the late 1980s during the so-called "Anfal" campaign [HRW backgrounder]. Hussein entered the court calmly, two days after being sentenced to death JURIST report] in a separate case for crimes against humanity [charging instrument, PDF] committed in the Iraqi town of Dujail [JURIST news archive; BBC trial timeline]. Tuesday's testimony began with a witness detailing his surrender to Iraqi soldiers after being told he was granted immunity, which proved to be a false promise when guards began shooting at him and 32 other men. Though not as outspoken as in past trial sessions, Hussein did challenge the testimony of one witness and also made a statement calling for forgiveness and reconciliation.

Last week, Khalil al-Dulaimi, chief defense counsel for Saddam, made an appearance in court with demands to end the defense lawyers' boycott of the trial [JURIST news archive], but stormed out [JURIST report] after the presiding judge told him that Arab and foreign lawyers may only appear as advisors to Hussein. AP has more.

 

About Paper Chase

Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible format.

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.