[JURIST] The London Metropolitan Police Service [official website] says it has released without charge one of the 24 people arrested earlier this week over an alleged plan to blow up US airplanes leaving from British airports [JURIST report]. Police have obtained warrants to keep 22 of the suspects in detention without charge until next Wednesday, and a court hearing will be held Monday to rule on the detention of the remaining person arrested in connection to the plot. Police officials said that the release of one of the suspects "is not unusual and is to be expected in large and complex criminal enquiries where a number of arrests have taken place."
British authorities believe that the would-be terrorists planned to detonate chemical explosives smuggled on board passenger aircraft in soft drink bottles. AFP has more. UPI has additional coverage.