[JURIST] A UK court-martial found three British soldiers not guilty of manslaughter Tuesday in the drowning death of a 15-year-old Iraqi boy. The infantrymen - two members of the Irish Guards [official website] and one member of the Scots Guards [official website], formerly of the Coldstream Guards [official website] - were accused of threatening to shoot four looting suspects unless they swam across a canal in May 2003. The boy who died, Ahmed Jabber Kareem, did not know how to swim. A fourth soldier charged with the death was found not guilty last month [JURIST report].
Some of the men have said they plan to continue their military careers, and the Ministry of Defence [official website] said in a statement that they may now do so with the Army's full support. BBC News has more. The Press Association has additional coverage.