[JURIST] AP is reporting that a lawyer for a co-defendant of Saddam Hussein [JURIST news archive] has been assassinated in Baghdad. Last month, Saadoun Sughaiyer al-Janabi, a defense lawyer for one of Hussein's co-defendants, was kidnapped by 10 masked gunmen [JURIST report] and later found dead [JURIST report]. Hussein's lawyers have since demanded a delay in proceedings or a foreign venue [JURIST report] and have announced a court boycott [JURIST report] over security concerns.
8:25 AM ET - According to a member of the defense team, Adel al-Zubeidi, who was representing former VP Taha Yassin Ramadan, was killed in an ambush Tuesday. A second lawyer with Ramadan was wounded during the attack. AP has more.
Previously in JURIST's Paper Chase...
- ICC president says Hague has no jurisdiction over Hussein trial
- Saddam defense team asks UN to press for venue change
- Saddam lawyers announce court boycott over security demands
- UN investigation of Saddam trial lawyer murder urged
- Bush says Baghdad safe for Saddam trial
- Iraqi government promises heightened security for Saddam trial lawyers
- Saddam defense team demands delay or foreign trial venue after lawyer murder