Australia still backing US military tribunals after e-mail controversy

[JURIST] Despite newly-uncovered e-mails [JURIST report] from former US military prosecutors that characterize the military tribunals at Guantanamo Bay as "rigged" and "a fraud", the Australian government is still backing a military trial for detained Australian David Hicks [JURIST news archive]. Australian Prime Minister John Howard [official website] said Tuesday that he was told that the e-mails had already been investigated by the Pentagon [JURIST report], and that Hicks could not be tried in Australia anyway because his alleged crimes do not fall under its criminal laws. Hicks, a native Australian, was captured in Afghanistan while allegedly fighting for the Taliban. The Australian government originally endorsed military tribunals after they were approved [JURIST report] by a US appeals court last month, but the Law Council of Australia [official website] and advocacy groups [Hicks advocacy website] have pushed for a civilian trial, especially after the e-mails came to light. Hicks' military lawyer and Australia's top military lawyer [Australian report] have also expressed grave reservations about the process. AFP has more.



 

About Paper Chase

Paper Chase is JURIST's real-time legal news service, powered by a team of 30 law student reporters and editors led by law professor Bernard Hibbitts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. As an educational service, Paper Chase is dedicated to presenting important legal news and materials rapidly, objectively and intelligibly in an accessible format.

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.