[JURIST] [JURIST Election Special] With the latest set of poll closings at 10 PM ET, here's a brief rundown of the major ballot issues newly in play:
- Montana is voting on a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage (CI-96 - Montana Pride is opposed; the Montana Family Foundation supports) and another to legalize marijuana (I-148 - Montana Care supports. Information on the ballot measures is here.
- Constitutional amendments are also in play in Nevada. We'll be watching Question 5, which would penalize lawyers involved in frivolous lawsuits, and Question 7, voting by "idiots or insane persons". An Initiative & Referendum Guide is here [PDF].
- North Dakota is voting on a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage (Measure 1).
- Voters in Oregon are considering 2 notable amendments, Measure 35 (tort reform - limiting damages in medical malpractice cases) and Measure 36 (same-sex marriage).
- Utah is also voting on Amendment 3, a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.