[JURIST] As expected, Oregon lawyer Brandon Mayfield has filed a lawsuit in federal court arguing that the federal government targeted him in the wake of the March Madrid train bombings because of his Muslim faith. Mayfield was arrested in connection with the bombings after being linked by the FBI to a fingerprint found near the scene. After spending two weeks in jail, the FBI acknowledged its mistake and Mayfield was released.
In his suit, Mayfield challenges the constitutionality of the USA PATRIOT Act and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and says that the government violated his civil rights by searching his home and office, seizing his family's belongings and holding him in jail. Tuesday's Oregonian has more.
Previously on JURIST's Paper Chase...
- DOJ investigating arrest of Oregon lawyer in Madrid bombing
- Oregon lawyer to sue FBI over Madrid bombing misidentification
- Oregon lawyer slams ill treatment while wrongly detained in connection with terror bombing
- Federal court dismisses case against Oregon lawyer in Madrid bombing
- Oregon lawyer remains material witness in Madrid bombing case
- BREAKING NEWS ~ Oregon lawyer jailed in Madrid bombings probe released