October 3, 2012
by Michael Kalis
JURIST Guest Columnist Douglas Cox of the City University of New York School of Law says that the CIA should respond to the National Archives inquiry into the CIA's destruction of detainee interrogation tapes in order to prevent any further destruction of important records...The US Department of ...[read more]
December 20, 2011
by Cynthia Miley
On December 20, 2007, the US House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence subpoenaed Jose Rodriguez, former head of the CIA's National Clandestine Service (NCS), over thedestruction of videotapes showing the interrogation of two terror suspects in 2002. Several investigations had been ...[read more]
October 7, 2011
by Ashley Hileman
A judge for the US District Court for the Southern District of New York on Wednesday again refused to hold the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in contempt for destroying videotapes of detainee interviews following the events of 9/11. Judge Alvin Hellerstein previously ruled on this issue in ...[read more]
August 2, 2011
by Maureen Cosgrove
A federal judge on Tuesday ruled that the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) was not in contempt of court for destroying videotapes thought to have shown harsh interrogations of terror suspects, but ordered the CIA to pay attorneys fees to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). The ACLU ...[read more]
June 30, 2011
by Maureen Cosgrove
US Attorney General Eric Holder announced Thursday that he would continue investigating the deaths of two detainees who died during interrogations by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). Former attorney general Michael Mukasey had appointed Assistant United States Attorney John Durham in 2008 ...[read more]
January 17, 2011
by Sarah Paulsworth
A federal judge on Friday told the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) that it must investigate the destruction of interrogation tapes related to 9/11 and prevent similar incidents from happening in the future. Judge Alvin Hellerstein of the US District Court for the Southern District of New York ...[read more]
November 18, 2010
by Edward SanFilippo
Bill Quigley: "The Department of Justice decision to refuse to prosecute anyone for the intentional destruction of evidence of over 90 tapes documenting crimes of torture is an outrageous betrayal of respect for human rights and the rule of law. The DOJ continues to try to construct a cocoon of ...[read more]
November 10, 2010
by Daniel Richey
No criminal charges will be brought against Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) officials for destroying videotapes of controversial interrogations of terror suspects during the Bush administration, a federal prosecutor announced Tuesday. US Department of Justice (DOJ) special prosecutor John ...[read more]
April 16, 2010
by Zach Zagger
Internal Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) documents released Thursday reveal that the former head of the agency Porter Goss may have agreed with the destruction of videotapes showing harsh interrogations of terror suspects. The heavily redacted documents reveal that, despite being unaware of the ...[read more]
August 24, 2009
by Matt Glenn
US Attorney General Eric Holder announced Monday that the Department of Justice (DOJ) will open a preliminary review into allegations of prisoner abuse by Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) interrogators during the Bush administration. Holder's decision follows a recommendation by the... ...[read more]

Support JURIST

We rely on our readers to keep JURIST running

 Donate now!

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.