July 11, 2012
by Dan Taglioli
A confirmed al Qaeda member and Osama bin Laden associate was released from Guantanamo Bay and returned to his native Sudan on Wednesday after more than a decade of detention. Ibrahim Ahmed Mahmoud al Qosi, 50, was released under the terms of a 2010 plea arrangement in which he admitted to ...[read more]
February 10, 2011
by Daniel Richey
The Pentagon announced Wednesday that a senior Department of Defense (DOD) official has reduced the sentence of Ibrahim al Qosi, the former al Qaeda cook and accountant who pleaded guilty before a military tribunal last July to crimes of conspiracy and supporting terrorism. His sentence reduced ...[read more]
August 19, 2010
by Ingrid Burke
JURIST Special Guest Columnist Andrea Prasow, senior counter-terrorism counsel at Human Rights Watch, says that the players constituting the military commission that tried Ibrahim al Qosi in Guantanamo last week created their own "mini-justice system" to replace the broken system they had ...[read more]
August 12, 2010
by Dwyer Arce
A US military jury on Wednesday recommended a 14-year sentence for Sudanese Guantanamo Bay detainee Ibrahim Ahmed Mahmoud al Qosi. Al Qosi agreed to a plea deal Tuesday after pleading guilty to charges of conspiracy and providing material support for terrorism in July. The details of the plea ...[read more]
August 10, 2010
by Dwyer Arce
Sudanese Guantanamo Bay detainee Ibrahim Ahmed Mahmoud al Qosi on Monday reached a plea agreement with the US government setting out the maximum sentence he can receive at his military tribunal. The details of the plea agreement will remain sealed until he is released from prison. According to al... ...[read more]
July 8, 2010
by Erin Bock
A Sudanese terrorism suspect held at Guantanamo Bay pleaded guilty on Wednesday before a military judge to charges of conspiracy and providing material support for terrorism. Ibrahim Ahmed Mahmoud al Qosi admitted that he supported al Qaeda since 1996 in their hostilities against the US, acting ...[read more]
December 4, 2009
by Ximena Marinero
A US military judge ruled Thursday that the US government may partially amend the charges against Guantanamo Bay detainee Ibrahim Ahmed al Qosi by changing his jurisdictional basis, but may not include four additional years of alleged activities under the charges. In this first application of the ...[read more]
October 22, 2009
by Christian Ehret
Two Guantanamo Bay military judges on Wednesday granted continuances for prosecutors in the cases of two Sudanese detainees allegedly involved with al Qaeda. Noor Uthman Mohammed, who is accused of working as a weapons instructor and logistician in Afghanistan, has already had his case delayed ...[read more]
July 16, 2009
by Andrew Morgan
Military prosecutors at Guantanamo Bay on Wednesday sought to delay the trials of three suspected terrorists while the US government revises the military commission system used to try them. At the second day of hearings held at the detention facility since US President Barack Obama took office, ...[read more]
April 28, 2008
by Brett Murphy
Yemeni Guantanamo Bay detainee Salim Ahmed Hamdan said Monday that he will join fellow detainees in a boycott of his upcoming military commission trial. Hamdan, a former driver for Osama bin Laden who has been in US custody since 2001, said at a pre-trial hearing that he will not participate in ...[read more]

Support JURIST

We rely on our readers to keep JURIST running

 Donate now!

© Copyright JURIST Legal News and Research Services, Inc., 2013.