LONDON BOMBINGS
JURIST legal news archive...




UK court heard London transit bombing lawsuit
April 26, 2012
On April 26, 2010, lawyers for the victims of the July 7, 2005 London transit bombings argued in the Royal Courts of Justice that UK authorities possessed information that could have helped them prevent the attacks. The British security service argued that the matter had already been investigated by....... [more]

London police settle with family of man mistaken for terrorist
November 23, 2009
London's Metropolitan Police Service (Met) and the family of Jean Charles de Menezes on Tuesday announced an end to litigation stemming from de Menezes' death, caused by two Met officers in 2005. No details were given about the compensation awarded to the family: n view of the physical and m....... [more]

UK prosecutors not charging Met officers in De Menezes killing
February 13, 2009
The UK Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced Friday that no charges will be filed against London Metropolitan Police Service (Met) officers involved in the shooting death of Brazilian immigrant Jean Charles de Menezes in a London Tube station. De Menzes was shot to death by officers....... [more]

Top UK police chief resigns in wake of Menezes inquiry, other problems
October 3, 2008
Sir Ian Blair resigned Thursday from his position as Commissioner of London's Metropolitan Police Service (Met), effective December 1, 2008. Blair cited a strained relationship with the newly-elected mayor of London, Boris Johnson, and the mayor's decision for new leadership at....... [more]

UK court rejects appeal by convicted London bombing plotters
April 23, 2008
The UK Court of Appeal Wednesday rejected an appeal by four men convicted for plotting the failed bomb attacks on London's subway and bus systems on July 21, 2005, two weeks after a similar attack killed 52 people. In 2005, Hussein Osman, Muktar Said Ibrahim, Yassin Omar, and Ramzi Mohamed were....... [more]

Failed London bomber sentenced to 33 years in prison
November 20, 2007
A UK judge Tuesday sentenced Manfo Kwaku Asiedu to 33 years' imprisonment for his role in the July 21, 2005 failed bomb attacks on London's transit systems. Earlier this month, Asiedu pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to cause explosions and the prosecution agreed to drop the charge....... [more]

Suspect pleads guilty in 2005 London transit bombing attempt
November 9, 2007
Manfo Kwaku Asiedu pleaded guilty Friday to a charge of conspiracy to cause explosions over the failed bomb attacks on London's subway and bus systems on June 21, 2005. Six suspects- Asiedu, Hussein Osman, Muktar Said Ibrahim, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohamed, and Adel Yahya- went on trial in 2006....... [more]

UK police watchdog recommends policy review after 2005 subway shooting
November 8, 2007
The UK Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) Thursday published a report on its investigation into the fatal shooting of Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes in a London Tube station by officers of the Metropolitan Police Service who mistakenly believed he was a suspect in the 2005 London tra....... [more]

London subway shooting report [UK IPCC]
November 8, 2007
Stockwell One: Investigation into the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell underground station on 22 July 2005, UK Independent Police Complaints Commission, November 8, 2007. Read the full text of the report. Reported in JURIST's Paper Chase here....... [more]

London police found guilty in subway shooting trial
November 1, 2007
A London jury Thursday found that the Metropolitan Police violated laws relating to health and public safety when it shot and killed Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes in a London Tube station in 2005, believing him to be a suicide bomber. The prosecution argued that due to several mistakes made by L....... [more]

London police subway shooting trial begins
October 2, 2007
London's Metropolitan Police Service mistakenly killed Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes 'because of a flawed plan to carry out an anti-terrorism operation after the July 21 London transit bombing attempts in 2005, prosecutor Clare Montgomery argued during opening statements Monday in the tr....... [more]




WEBSITES

    Mayor of London

    Terrorist Attack [London Police]

    UK Resilience